Gathering Three - Hanah H. Howlett-McFarlane
Colonialism Evades Ontario’s Education System
Author’s Notes: Rhonda L. Paulsen
- Conflict and Resolution in Education
- Traditional Indigenous Education
Rassemblement trois – Hanah H. Howlett - McFarlane
Le colonialisme esquivé dans le système d’éducation de l’Ontario
Notes de l’auteur : Rhonda L. Paulsen
- Le conflit et la résolution en éducation
- L’éducation autochtone traditionnelle
Resolution in Education
photo by E. J. Thipphawong
"Tell me and I will forget.
Show me and I may not remember.
Involve me and I will understand."
In your opinion, do you think it is fair to have your intellect and ability assessed on your answers to questions that contain information you have not been taught in school or have been exposed to in your life experiences?
What impact(s) do you think receiving ‘labels’ (i.e. outside perspectives of your identity) would have on you? Consider how your own concept of self-identity could be impacted and how others may perceive you through those labels.
STUDENT CENTER – GATHERING THREE
Dominion Bay photo by E. J. Thipphawong
“You cannot cross the ocean,
you cannot discover new horizons,
if you are afraid of losing sight of the shore.”
Learning Outcomes ~ upon completion of this gathering, the student will be able to…
- Develop a deepening awareness of learning environments that support diversity.
- Analyze how issues of colonialism have impacted Indigenous people.
- Explore different learning and teaching methods in relation to student success.